A Travellerspoint blog

It's a tough life.

Well, two weeks in and total r and r. Josie and I walk for two hours a day and I am now on my seventh library book so you can tell how hard things are. The temperatures have been in the upper 20s for most of the last fortnight and it has been quite humid so not conducive to physical exercise (that's my excuse) but I have become very familiar with the local area and I'm learning rather a lot about NSW politics.
Last Sunday I took the train to Cronulla to spend an hour with Tom and Becky on their return from New York. They operate a great travel scheme here whereby if you use an Opal card (equivalent to an Oyster card in the UK) every journey on a Sunday costs only $2.50. I had an hour and a half train ride each way for the equivalent of £1.30 ish. That is REAL value for money! It was quite a long journey for just an hour with them but when you haven't had a live hug with your son for a year it was well worth it.
On Wednesday I caught the bus to the 'must go to' Macquarie Shopping Centre (why????) and I can absolutely confirm that a mall is a mall is a mall. The Centre is right across the road from Macquarie University and, at lunchtime, every one of it's 38 cafes and restaurants was rammed and the noise was horrendous. At least my rapid exit meant that I didn't have a chance to spend money on things I didn't need. I did get my nails done whilst I was there, a vanity I know but I have got standards to maintain, and it was cheaper than at home so I'm not going to feel bad about it.
Wednesday night we had the most enormous storm which knocked out power lines in some parts of the city although fortunately not here. Things changed literally by the minute and went from a clear sky to very big black clouds, thunder, lightning and monsoon rain during the course of a skype call to the UK. I had only watered the garden a couple of hours earlier on the basis of my weather app which is obviously rubbish and needs changing. Josie was terrified and felt she needed to sit on my lap, I don't know how much she weighs but she is big, solid and very heavy, I compromised by sitting on the floor and cuddling her and fortunately it only lasted a couple of hours.
Yesterday I went into the city to meet Tom, Becky and Becky's parents to watch the one day England/Afghanistan cricket match at the SCG. CE896DF2EAAD3CC79E706DEE4136BA04.jpgCDCD8749DF34B183B6C5C672BB837EAC.jpg England won the toss and put Afghanistan in to bat first and it was a slow start and apart from a couple of '4's the most exciting thing happening were the shooting flames each time a player was called 'out'.CDCBBB4DA3CE02A4FA554FFDED7D3FF3.jpgCDCC89D3D6FB4F67AD86D94B9BBF7F7F.jpg Rain stopped play a couple of times and unfortunately I had to leave way before the end so I didn't get to see England batting but I understand the game went on until 10pm and England won by 9 wickets. Hopefully the ground filled up a with the after work crowd and the atmosphere became a bit more enthusiastic.
My homeowners are back next Friday and I shall probably stay overnight here before going to Cronulla on Saturday. There is a 10.5k bush walk that I would really like to do sometime next week if there is a cooler day and the temperatures look set to be lower during the early part of the week so that could present an opportunity. That, mind you, is according to my weather app so who knows? I wonder if it was produced by Michael Fish.

Posted by busyboots 11:38

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents


Hi Jane, lovely to read about your trip - it sounds very interesting - wonderful to see Tom and Becky - love all your pictures too. Take care in the storms. all my love xx

by suelloyd

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.